Job Title: Civil Engineer, PE (CA Licensed) / Plan Checker
Location: Los Angeles County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County and Orange County
Years of Experience: Minimum 5 years
Summary: Transtech Engineers, Inc. is seeking an experienced California PE Licensed Civil Engineer with at least 5 of extensive experience working shall in building departments for municipalities. Applicant must have at least 5 years of professional experience as a plan checker reviewing plans for conformance with California State and/or Los Angeles County codes for a governmental agency. Candidate must perform professional duties involving the review and checking of building and site plans to insure compliance with City codes and ordinances; and performs related work as required. Perform complex and advanced professional structural engineering and building code review of structural engineering calculations and plans submitted with applications for building permits to determine conformance with California State and/or Los Angeles County codes and related municipal codes. Candidate must possess excellent communication, technical writing, and presentation skills, effective client communications/interactions and have the ability to operate independently with minimal supervision. Candidate must be capable of independently evaluating, selecting, and applying engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria to projects. Candidate must be willing to commute from different project site locations (LA, OC, RIV, and SB Counties) and be detailed oriented with good written and verbal communication skills. Candidate will be expected to successfully execute appropriate levels of leadership and client relations.
Job Requirements (minimum):
- Possession of a license to practice as a Registered Civil Engineer or Structural Engineer in the State of California.
- Possession of an International Code Council (ICC) Certification as a Plans Examiner.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience as a plan checker reviewing plans for conformance with International Code Council (ICC) model codes for a governmental agency.
- Candidate must be familiar with computer operation (MS Office). It is highly desirable that the individual will have knowledge of computer assisted engineering and design softwares.
- Maintains a high level of understanding of departmental design standards, applicable engineering codes and policies, guidelines and standards. Provides suggestions for improvements and cost saving measures.
- Perform complex and advanced professional structural engineering and building code review of structural engineering calculations and plans submitted with applications for building permits to determine conformance with California State and/or Los Angeles County codes and related municipal codes.
- Maintain building plans and records as related to the Plan Check function.
- Answer questions from engineers, architects, developers, contractors and the general public regarding City regulations and policies.
- Conduct field inspections as necessary; investigate field problems affecting property owners, contractors and maintenance operations.
- Assist at the counter in calculating fees, issuing permits and dispensing general and technical information.
- Prepare reports and conduct oral presentations on plan check related matters.
- Assist in the development and revision of building related codes and policies.
- Make authoritative interpretations of applicable laws, regulations and policies.
- Coordinate plan review activities with other City departments, divisions, and with outside agencies, developers and engineers.
- Assist the Building Official in related administrative matters which include personnel, policies, procedures and systems review.
- Reviews plans, specifications, and structural calculations submitted for residential, commercial, and industrial developments to insure compliance with all building codes, ordinances, and regulations.
- Assists Building Inspectors in difficult or unusual code interpretation as it applies to various structures.
- Coordinating the flow of assigned work.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain and promote positive and effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, the general public, contractors and design professionals.
- Demonstrate initiative and exercise good judgment in the performance of duties.
- Work independently and as a team member; recognize and set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Attend client meetings and associated agency meetings (including city council, county planning, zoning, etc).
- Ability to perform work in the capacity of Building Official and/or City Engineer when required.
- Ability to sit or stands for long periods and walk to conduct site visits.
- Current driver’s license and good driving record is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Professional appearance and interaction.
Starting Salary and Benefits: Salary is negotiable and is based on candidate’s qualifications with health insurance and 401 K benefits.
Interested candidates, please send your resume to email@example.com